Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sabrina's Update!



Written by Holly Cole, the "Seasoned NICU Mom"... or so they call me at this hospital. They are impressed with what I know. This means they all have an easier job. It has been 11 weeks of teaching and learning! :) One Dr said I am for hire:) Anything is quotes is hospital talk. With all the stress and return trips, I figured I add some of my expertise:) 

Sabrina is doing well. She is moving from the PICU to the pediatrics floor some time today. She is almost completely weened from oxygen and her "saturations are beautiful". "She is sating at 100%!" Her head ultrasound..."brain scan" came back good, and her "echocardiogram" ... detailed ultrasound of her heart looked good, but we will hear from the cardiologist today to find out for sure. One blood culture came back with "Gram positive Cocci" meaning staff infection (meaning bacterial), but they did a re-draw incase that was a "dirty draw". She is being treated with antibiotics. We all have bacteria on our skin, but not in our bodies (at least this type), this is why they are re-checking. CONSTANT HAND WASHING will prevent most of this, and it doesn't have to be anti-bacterial. Those nasty bugs are learning to live even with the anti-bacteria soaps. So, our home will be on lock down for the next few months. Not much I can do about keeping everything out... but we will try our best, without living in a bubble. All those people who mocked my parasite soap box.... WELL... NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY??? 

They told me preemies were more prone to sickness, and I didn't believe them to the degree I should have. Now you can NOT convince me otherwise. Nor can you convince me to change my thoughts on all the parasite stuff I have been reading and learning about. I will not live in fear, but I will live EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS without living in a bubble! So, this social butterfly, WILL NOT BE HAVING ANYONE OVER FOR A FEW MONTHS, especially if you have little ones. My family's health and priority. NOW.. knowing what a social butterfly I am, I will need phone calls and e-mails and im's to keep me in touch with "the outside world". You have all been so supportive and I do not know what we would have done without all your thoughts and prayers. 

Please pray for all the other children also in NICUs and PICUs all over the world. There is not a sadder sight than to see some of the issues other families are having to deal with compared to ours. Ours is still stressful, but I know NOW Sabrina will be healthy and home soon.  


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holly -you're doing great! Don't feel bad!!! We didn't let anyone in our house for the first month and told people "technically they shouldn't have been born yet" to get them to feel good about seeing them when they're older. Even my sister's family, visiting from Massachusett's viewed the babies from our windows. We felt bad - but when we let them get "passed around" (something our dr said not to do) even at Thanksgiving (when they were 4+ months old) they ended up getting a bad cold and at Christmas (5+ months), a stomach bug. Every time we let up those first 6 months they caught something scary that really set them back. - Denise (Schuster) Lusby & family